We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Business travelers are consistently battling with eating out, lack of routine, snacking and open invitations to grabbing a drink during happy hour. Don’t get me wrong though the hotels, room service and butter soaked steak dinners are well worth it but maybe not to the waistline.
I’ve put together 10 tips to help you stick to your eating plan and lose weight while on the road. Try to get a hotel room with a fridge or pack a cooler in hopes to save a little money and a few calories!
10 Tips To Making Healthy Choices While on the Road
- Water – stay hydrated and bring a water bottle with you, a rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day. For example a 100 pound person would need to take in 50 ounces of water a day.
- Snacks – pack travel friendly snacks like almonds, protein bars, dried fruit, apples and even some veggies!
- Eating out – skip the deep-fried foods and opt for additional veggies on the side and skip the bread.
- Make healthier meal choices – get your protein in the morning so you are fuller longer and opt for salads and lighter fares for lunch.
- Eating out portions – Ask for a to go container with your meal and package half when the meal arrives, therefore you won’t over eat and have a meal for the next day.
- Head to a local grocery store – grab some healthy snacks and supplies so you can eat in your room instead of going out for every meal like salads, deli meats and wraps.
- Stay active – Don’t depend on going to the gym chances are you’ll be way too busy instead choose alternatives like taking the stairs, going for a walk on lunch break and walking to meals instead of driving or cabbing it.
- Avoid happy hour it might be rude to skip it but stick to one drink or order club soda and lime (everyone will think its vodka), cutting your calories and avoiding the alcohol!
- Get enough sleep – make sure you get a solid 6-8 hours of sleep at night, if you’re overtired you’ll eat more plus if you get more sleep you’ll be more productive during the day.
- It’s ok to say no – we’ve all been there just “one more drink” or “its only dessert” don’t feel bad because you’re saying no. Celebrate in the fact that you know you’re body and won’t beat yourself up for having that extra helping of dessert when you get home!
Even the best thought out plans can go wrong while you’re on the road. Just make the decision of making healthy choices while you’re away from home. When all else fails drink more water and take the stairs!
Other posts you may find useful: